p.daniels wrote:
> So most of you are probably out drinking. Damn my poverty.

I didn't see anyone else at Townhall. I had a nice Octoberfest
and a blueberry oatmeal pale though.

> A question that I walked away with actually stemed from the Q&A after
> the main lecture. Someone brought up a question regarding perceived
> incompatibility between free software and regulated industries (in this
> example, medical device software).

I didn't stay once they began auctioning the gnu, but I was interested
in this question. I think it is a broader question: what about any
software, such as medical or the software that controls your car, where
there is a cost to failure. He was quite adamant throughout his talk
about not using ANY software that wasn't free, and I would have been
interested in his comments on this.

I was disappointed in his painting things black or white. He was quite
harsh on proprietary software developers: they were a single person who
developed software as a power trip for controlling their users, and
there is no way to communicate with them (to get features added).

I was a proprietary software developer for the past 13 years, and I
don't think he got a single thing right. I was part of a team, we did
it to make money, but also because it was a cool product (J. River
Media Center), and we had a support forum where we - the developers -
interacted directly with users, taking ideas and sometimes implementing
them.

It was interesting - especially the number of people who raised
their hands for programming in TECO.