(ASCEND) Configure Pipeline75 to provide IP Address via PPP negotiation.

I'm attempting to configure a WAN connection between a pair of
Pipeline 75 units, one with an Internet address (REMOTE), one on
a private LAN (LOCAL).  I would like the LOCAL unit to run
single-address NAT for the LAN behind it.

When I give the LOCAL unit an address on the LAN and turn on
single-address NAT, it is no longer able to connect to the remote
unit.  I suspect it is because the LOCAL unit's "My Addr" does not
match the REMOTE unit's "Rem Addr".  When I set LOCAL's "My Addr"
to match REMOTE's "Rem Addr", it is able to connect - but of course,
then LOCAL no longer has an IP on the internal LAN, machines on
that LAN cannot talk to LOCAL or use it as a gateway.

Does anyone have any suggestions?  5.0Ai16 release notes indicate:

    When the Pipeline connects to a remote network, the MAX or
    other remote device must be configured to assign dynamic IP
    addresses through PPP negotiations (when the Pipeline uses a
    single IP address for NAT) or through DHCP (when the Pipeline
    requires multiple IP addressses when performing NAT for a LAN).

I wasnt the first, having the REMOTE p75 assign a specific IP address
when the LOCAL p75 dials in.  I suspect I'm missing something simple.
I was able to set up IPMasq on a Linux box with no trouble, but I
would rather consolidate that function onto the router, as that's
why I paid a premium for it...

Thanks much,
---
scott hess <scott@doubleu.com> (606) 578-0412 http://www.doubleu.com/
<Favorite unused computer book title: The Compleat Demystified Idiots
  Guide to the Zen of Dummies in a Nutshell in Seven Days, Unleashed>