(ASCEND) 5.0Ai28 - anyone have success?

I have tried and tried and nothing I do seems to work to laod 5.0Ai28 onto
a max 4048 we've got.

I've downloaded the tik.m40 and tk.m40's from ftp.ascend.com (binary mode)
several times now.  I've tloadcode'd probably two dozen times...  Maybe I'm
thick, but I can load 5.0Ai13, 5.0Ap27, 5.0Ap33, 5.0Ap36, even 6.0b1 with
no problem whatsoever.  The permissions on these files are all the same on
my tftp server.  I've tloaded from a config with nothing in it but the IP
address/netmask (on same LAN/subnet as tftp server.)  Nadda.

Here's what happens-
Instead of loading it as a fat load (which I think it should be, since it's
greater than 960k in size), it only loads 5.0Ai28 as a thin load.  This happens
for both tk.m40 and tik.m40.  It finishes the load, and then I do an nvramclear
and it reboots.  As it boots, it comes up with "CRC error!!!" and then puts me
into "RESTRICTED MODE * * * You must re-run the last tloadcode command" and
my mod-16 cards show as mod-8 cards.  It looks like it could only boot up into
a minimal kernel.  I then try simply rebooting, no go- same deal "restricted mode" again.
I try tloadcode'ing 5.0Ai28 again, no go.

I've tried upping to 5.0Ai28 from 5.0Ai13, 5.0Ap27, 5.0Ap33, and 5.0Ap36 all
to no avail.

Could there be a mistake in the code that figures out whether it is a fat or
thin load?  Can I force a fat load?  (-f to tloadcode is only for forcing
a tloadcode when no "platform identifier" is found in the image).

I dunno- maybe I've been tloadcode'ing wrong for the past year, but somehow
I am beginning to think the code is messed up on ascend's ftp site.  I
hesitate to suggest this, but I ran out of options.

So, I decided to load 6.0b1, and aside from a "Can't read debug profile" in
my syslog, it looks okay.

I hope I'm being really stupid, and overlooked something in the docs.  Has
anyone gotten 5.0Ai28 going?  I have been dying for user's download speeds since
July of this year, when it was in 5.0Ai13, but rockwell code revisions have only
been updated in the 'p' branch, so this is why I am so anxious to get 5.0Ai28
working.

Thanks all....

-Will Pierce
willp@dreamscape.com