(ASCEND) Re: GigaRouter/GRF experiences

On Fri, 12 Dec 1997 11:51:25 +0100
 Tassilo Erlewein <erlewein@rus.uni-stuttgart.de> wrote:

> We also found some funny things on the GRF400
> you may be interested in: (software is 1.3.8)
>
> 1. Fragmentation from HiPPI to ATM (HiPPI IP routing)
>  Behaves the same as the GigaRouter BUT we found that
>  it runs well if you set the ATM MTU to a value
>  slightly less than 9180 bytes - say 9179 bytes.
>  Then we saw no bad checksums on the participating hosts.
>  (reported to Ascend support)

Hmm :-) Seems like an easy fix.

> 2. Filter daemon doesn't load new configuration sometimes
>  We observed that the filter daemon sometime (don't know why)
>  refuses to load its configuration when doing the kill -HUP.
>  The entry in the gr.console only does not show the
>  filter activation then. We found that letting the deamon
>  reload an empty filter configuration (all commented out)
>  and then the configuration we originally intended again,
>  it works without rebooting the box.

filterd is useless IMO. It only filters TCP and UDP and doesn't let you
filter other protocols like GRE etc.

> 3. "locked" interfaces - well configured but dead
>  If you configure two interfaces with identical IP addresses
>  (one taken down), the newly configured one wins and the old
>  one gets what I name "locked". If you then configure the
>  new interface with another IP address, the old one remaines
>  locked. It shows up, well configured, but is dead.
>  We found that you have to give it an IP address of a different
>  subnet - say from some spare subnet or so - to unlock it.
>  Then you can again assign the original IP address.
>  We did this on the GigaRouter and the GRF400.

Hmm, not done this.

> Please comment on my points and allow some questions too:
>
> 1. Does anyone have experiences with filtering and what
>    impact it has on the performance ?

No, I suspect it will hit performance badly. Ascend get Tolly to test it! :-)

> 2. Does anyone already have a GRF1600 and/or the restricted
>    version of the OC12c interface ?

No.

> 3. Anyone using HiPPI and ATM on the GigaRouter/GRF ?
>    (IP-Routing vs. HiPPI over ATM tunnel, etc.)

I'm using ATM tunnelling to deliver one vcc onto another GRF and this
tested well upto 45Mbs.

The ATM card on the GRF needs lots of work, like it doeesn't stop
sending arp packets when you have arp statically defined in /etc/grarp.conf.
I'm also getting lots of strange failures like this:

gated: aborted at eip 0x1b9df

mib2d: aborted at eip 0x7818

mib2d: aborted at eip 0x7818

mib2d: aborted at eip 0x7818

[The above errors are from _three_ different GRF's]

gated: aborted at eip 0x37d5

--
Neil J. McRae. Alive and Kicking.       Domino: In the glow of the night.
neil@DOMINO.ORG        NetBSD/sparc: 100% SpF (Solaris protection Factor)