Re: (ASCEND) number of active sessions by SNMP

On Wed, Dec 17, 1997 at 01:52:07PM +0100, Thorleif Wiik wrote:
> On Wed, 17 Dec 1997, Andre Beck wrote:
>
> Hello all,
>
> > I'm monitoring ascend.eventGroup.eventCurrentActiveCalls and
> > .eventCurrentActiveSessions which for some reason are almost always
> > identical (if not it's a good sign something is wrong, f.i. not
> > answering RADIUS servers etc.).
>

> What is the exact difference between Sessions and Calls ?
> If I look at
>
> eventTotalSessions	15174
> eventTotalCalls		14834
>
> there are more sessions than calls on my max4000  ??

I dunno either ;)

I assume that it has something to do with connection state, i.e.
a connection becomes a session before it becomes a call, and if
a connection fails progress from session to call state the counters
diverge. I further guess that this state change happens somewhere
between physical connect and successful auth. Then again, maybe not.

(I had a peak of sessions without accompanying peak of calls whenever
my RADIUS servers did not answer, so I imply the above. Anyway, I would
have expected the other way around [i.e. it would start as a call and
eventually become a session]).

Any mysticism around here ?

--

Kanther-Line: PGP SSH IDEA MD5 GOST RIPE-MD160 3DES RSA FEAL32 RC4

| o |               \\\- Brain Inside -///                   | o |
| o | Andre' Beck (ABPSoft) beck@ibh-dd.de XLink PoP Dresden | o |