Re: (ASCEND) Centrex Calls with 5.0Ap36 (Private/Public Flags)

On Wed, Dec 17, 1997 at 01:20:18PM -0800, Earl Wallace wrote:
> We have a Max 2000 connected to an ISDN PRI in a Centrex group on
> the PacBell SNFCCA21DS1 (DMS-100) switch in San Francisco.  Up until
> about a month ago we were just like everyone else: we could dial
> inside the Centrex using 5-digits and call outside the Centrex by
> dialing '9' first.  This worked on every release of Ascend software
> I tried.  The 'test' command also worked for this setup.  Then that
> switch was upgraded and the "bootleg workaround" which made this all
> work was ripped out.  The switch guy at PacBell said that SBC wants
> these switches to run clean with no bootleg workarounds from now on.
>
> After this upgrade, I could call anyone except the 5-digit Centrex
> ISDN BRI's.  Didn't have to dial 9 to get outside the Centrex.  It
> acted just as if I didn't have centrex at all.  So I called PacBell
> and they watched me make a few 5-digit calls to some customers and
> noticed that I wasn't setting the 'Private' bit/flag in the 'Network
> Specific Flag' (this is their term) of the Q.931 packet.  Well, I
> remembered there was a RADIUS attribute that might be worth trying,
> so I played around with that and found that this set the Private flag
> so PacBell was happy and I could call inside the Centrex and outside
> as before:
>
>   Ascend-PRI-Number-Type = Local-Number
>
> This worked great in 4.6Cp22 but not in 5.0Ap36.  I tried all the
> values of Ascend-PRI-Number-Type in RADIUS and even went directly to
> the connection profile and tried all values of 'PRI # Type' and none
> worked.  I flat-out was unable to call 5-digit extensions, so I
> called PacBell and again they never saw the Private flag being set.
> I backed down to 4.6p22 and all was fine again (as long as I used the
> Local-Number value).
>
> I also noticed that the Terminal Server 'test' command was unable to
> make 5-digit Centrex calls in both 4.6Cp22 and 5.0Ap36.  I guess this
> is because there is no way to tell it the call type?
>
> I assume these RADIUS values are supposed to set some flag in the
> Q.931 packet somewhere, so it would seem that one of these guys
> isn't setting that darn Private flag:
>
>   VALUE   Ascend-PRI-Number-Type          Intl-Number             1
>   VALUE   Ascend-PRI-Number-Type          National-Number         2
>   VALUE   Ascend-PRI-Number-Type          Local-Number            4
>   VALUE   Ascend-PRI-Number-Type          Abbrev-Number 	  5
>
> If PacBell is going to do more ripping out of bootleg workarounds,
> there are going to be a lot of unhappy Ascend customers who are
> running Centrex ISDN shops...

There are 2 subitems in the "Called Party Number" information
element of Q.931:

1) The Number Type (3 bits) with these values:
   Unknown	 (0)
   International (1)
   National	 (2)
   Network Specific (3)
   Subscriber	 (4)
   Abbreviated	 (6)

   Other values (5, 7) are reserved.

2) The numbering plan (4 bits) with:
   Unknown	 (0)
   E.164	 (1)
   X.121	 (3)
   F.69		 (4)
   National	 (8)
   Private	 (9)

   All other values are reserved.

This probably means they want you to set the numbering plan to "Private"
but may as well mean anything else. You should ask them what _exactly_
they want to see from you. Then you go to Ascend and FR that they either
fix the PRI # Type to contain all values that Q.931 allows there (they
have "Local" and it is unclear whether this actually means "Net Specific"
or "Subscriber") or (and) allow you to specify another numbering plan
(not E.164 which is the default) so you can set it to "Private".

Andre.
--

Kanther-Line: PGP SSH IDEA MD5 GOST RIPE-MD160 3DES RSA FEAL32 RC4

| o |               \\\- Brain Inside -///                   | o |
| o | Andre' Beck (ABPSoft) beck@ibh-dd.de XLink PoP Dresden | o |