Re: (ASCEND) Re: NFAS?

  Peter Lalor wrote:

> >If you were not concerned with D channel failures and if you ignore hard
> >limits (if there are any), how many B channels and what kind of a call
> >load does it take for 64Kbps to be insufficient signaling bandwidth?
>
> I would imagine that it doesn't take much bandwidth for signalling at all,
> but I don't know for sure.
>
> Where I bet we run into bandwidth issues will be Always On/Dynamic ISDN
> (AO/DI). When people start exchanging email and getting PointCast over the
> D channel, we may not exceed their 16k D channel to the point it wants to
> bring up a B, but I imagine that we'll have exceeded our 64k D if we're
> running NFAS with a few PRIs. There's only four pegged 16k D channels of
> bandwidth in our 64k D, after all...

    You bring up a good point. Are we (as ISP's) going to be able to have
multipleD channels on a AO/DI device ? I certainly don't want 50 or 60 AO/DI
users
checking their email every minute on a crutial D channel designed to pass
signalling
for some PRI's or something.

    I haven't been keeping up on the subject of AO/DI, so I'll ask the list...
When will the first "test" devices be offered and what are the requirements?
I am assuming it takes nothing special from the phone company. I am also
am assuming that the end user only needs to have a destination Circuit ID or
a tel.no would even work.

> Peter Lalor
> Infoasis
> plalor@infoasis.com
> http://www.infoasis.com/
> 415-459-7991 x102
> 415-459-7992 fax

-- Tim Connolly tec@mountain.net     MountainNet, Inc.
-- (800) 444-1458 ext. 37            2816 Cranberry Square
-- fax (304) 594-9088                Morgantown, WV 26505