(ASCEND) Re: NFAS?

>If you were not concerned with D channel failures and if you ignore hard
>limits (if there are any), how many B channels and what kind of a call
>load does it take for 64Kbps to be insufficient signaling bandwidth?

I would imagine that it doesn't take much bandwidth for signalling at all,
but I don't know for sure.

Where I bet we run into bandwidth issues will be Always On/Dynamic ISDN
(AO/DI). When people start exchanging email and getting PointCast over the
D channel, we may not exceed their 16k D channel to the point it wants to
bring up a B, but I imagine that we'll have exceeded our 64k D if we're
running NFAS with a few PRIs. There's only four pegged 16k D channels of
bandwidth in our 64k D, after all...

Anyway, brief and bursty as it is, I imagine signalling wouldn't be slowed
down appreciably anyway. I'm sure we only have 64k D channels because we
have 64k B channels and they couldn't make it any smaller. That's why NFAS
exists.

Peter Lalor
Infoasis
plalor@infoasis.com