Re: (ASCEND) Recommendations for a new router...

On Thu, 18 Dec 1997, RHS Linux User wrote:

> Just curious what people are using for routers, and why?  We are looking
> to freeing the load our T1 uses up on our TNT.

I use PCI-based Pentiums with V.35 boards from Emerging Technologies
(www.etinc.com) running Linux.  You get the advantage of a system that can
run GATED, and therefore get OSPF and BGP4 right, for a very reasonable
cost (a $2000 system with a $2000 4-port v.35 serial board and external
CSU's).  If you don't need T-3 speeds, these are very happy things to
have, the RAM is dirt cheap and even better you get to run everything on a
genuine computer, which I personally like.

If you DO need T-3 speeds, there are HSSI boards also available for PC's.
I think you can get them from www.sdlcomm.com.  I don't use these, so I
can't recommend them.  But you still get the same advantages... gated and
Pentium based hardware.