Re: (ASCEND) Losing my connection

Nice Subject ;->

On Sun, Dec 21, 1997 at 05:45:25PM -0600, John Coy wrote:
> I have an Ascend Pipeline 50 connecting to a MAX4000 through
> a 128k MPP connection.  I'm running 5.1Ap6 on the P50 and
> 5.0Ap36 on the MAX.
>
> I am frequently losing my connection with this unit.  I am
> having trouble determing if the problem is on the telco side
> or my equipment side.  I'm confident the problem is not on
> my MAX side as I have nearly 75 ISDN connections that run
> through there with no problems.
>
> The pipeline is not rebooting.  showfatal gives no information.
> However, show isdn from the terminal server does:
>
> PH: ACTIVATED
> DL: TEI ASSIGNED  72
> DL: TEI ASSIGNED  81
> NL: CALL REQUEST: 64K, #8012222
> NL: CALL REQUEST: 64K, #8012222
> PH: DEACTIVATED
> NL: CALL CLEARED/L1 CHANGE  B1
> NL: CALL CLEARED/L1 CHANGE  B2
>
> Exactly what do these messages mean, particularly the
> PH: DEACTIVATED lines.  Assistance would be greatly appreciated!

PH: DEACTIVATED means (here in germany where ISDN is always supplied as
S0) the S0 NT was deactivated. This is another strange sign of pseudo-
ecological behavior like green bios and green monitor in that the
deactivation is done to switch off the NT if it is idle for some time
to "save energy". This deactivation occurs either by the NT itself (unlikely)
or by the telco (more likely) using a special signaling, and can also
be caused by the TE (not that I expect Ascend boxes to do that). More
relevant, the TE is able to activate a deactivated NT again using again
a special signaling (INFO1 etc., see I.430 IIRC).

Long speech short sense: Your telco or NT seems to deactivate the NT
while it is busy. The Pipe recognizes that deactivation and - due to
loss of Layer 1 aka PH aka L1 (--> L1 CHANGE) it assumes the two B
channel calls are disconnected.

If it is no defect cable or D-Channel-misunderstanding it is likely
a telco issue. I've seen them forget to wake up NTs on incoming calls
as well...

--

Kanther-Line: PGP SSH IDEA MD5 GOST RIPE-MD160 3DES RSA FEAL32 RC4

| o |               \\\- Brain Inside -///                   | o |
| o | Andre' Beck (ABPSoft) beck@ibh-dd.de XLink PoP Dresden | o |