Re: (ASCEND) Pipeline 75<-->75 and NAT.

Jane Hsiung Wojcik <jwojcik@media.mit.edu> responded:
>I believe NAT only works if you do dynamic addressing. Another
>words, the remote box assigns an address from a pool of dynamic
>addresses to the home box.

Ah-ha!  That's what I thought.  I've asked that question before,
but got no response to figured I must have asked a question which
made no sense.

So far as I can tell, the dynamic address support on the Pipeline
is only for the Ethernet-connected hosts, where it's willing to
assign DHCP addresses to hosts while running NAT.

If I can dynamically assign an IP to an incoming call to a Pipeline
75, how should I setup the connection profile?  The only section
of the connection profile which looks remotely relevant is IP
options, which are currently like:

   Ip options...
    LAN Adrs=208.155.20.86/30
    WAN Alias=0.0.0.0
    IF Adrs=0.0.0.0/0
    Preference=60
    Metric=1
    DownPreference=120
    DownMetric=7
    Private=No
    RIP=Off
    Client Pri DNS=0.0.0.0
    Client Sec DNS=0.0.0.0
    Client Assign DNS=Yes
    Client Gateway=0.0.0.0

The calling Pipeline can only connect if it's My Adrs matches the
above LAN Adrs.

The manual hints, with "LAN Adrs... The default setting is 0.0.0.0/0;
an answering Connection Profile with this setting matches all
incoming IP addresses."  Unfortunately, that seems to be exactly
_opposite_ what I want - I don't want the calling Pipeline to provide
it's address, I want the called Pipeline to provide the caller with
an address.

Thanks for the hint, though,
---
scott hess <scott@doubleu.com> (606) 578-0412 http://www.doubleu.com/
<Favorite unused computer book title: The Compleat Demystified Idiots
  Guide to the Zen of Dummies in a Nutshell in Seven Days, Unleashed>