(ASCEND) Re: disconnect for Mac OT PPP users

>From: Sandman <sandmanx@ghg.net>
>
>We have noticed with our Mac customers that FreePPP is the only thing that
>will get them connected with us using any version of OpenTransport.  We
>use ConfigPPP for users with MacTCP which works great for them but when we
>tried to use it for OpenTransport users could not get anywhere,  We are
>running 5.0p13 as well on our maxen.
>
>On Mon, 22 Dec 1997, Jane Hsiung Wojcik wrote:
>
>> Our Macintosh users running OT v.8 PPP complains about getting
>> disconnected frequently regardless of the type of modems they use.
>> Installing FreePPP seems to fix the problem.
>>
>> Anyone have similar problems?  We are running 5.0Ap13.

I'm not sure what "OT v.8 PPP" is, but here's what you need to have Mac
users connect reliably:

1. They need to run the most-recent release of the System version they're
running. For System 7.5, this is 7.5.5. For System 7.6, this is 7.6.1. OS 8
is fine out of the box.

2. If the client is running Open Transport, it should be 1.1.2 or later
with System 7.x, and 1.2 or later with OS 8. Open Transport clients may run
OT/PPP or FreePPP 2.5v2 or later.

3. If the client is running MacTCP, FreePPP 2.5v2 or later should be used.
It replaces the ancient ConfigPPP.

4. Hardware handshaking must be used for almost all modems over 9600, with
the exception of Global Village modems. Most older Global Village modems
require CTS Only.

5. Port speed should be 38400 for 14,400 modems, 57,600 for 28.8 and higher
speed modems, and 115,200 for Power Macintoshes with fast modems or ISDN
TAs. If the machine doesn't see the modem, reduce the port speed.

6. For FreePPP, try AutoDetect Init String. If it doesn't work, or fails to
accurately recognize the modem, try the mfgs recommendation. If that
doesn't work reliably, use AT&F1.

All Apple updates mentioned are here:
http://support.info.apple.com/ftp/swhome.html

Take it from a Mac-centric ISP: Macs work great with Maxen, and have on
every Max software release we've seen.

Peter Lalor
Infoasis
plalor@infoasis.com