Re: (ASCEND) 127.0.0.[2-xxx]

> On Sun, Dec 28, 1997 at 10:41:07PM +0100, Michiel Boland wrote:
> > On Sun, 28 Dec 1997, Matt Holdrege wrote:
> >
> > >      The reject (rj0) interface is always up.
> > >
> > >      The reject address is 127.0.0.2. Packets routed to this interface are
> > > sent back to the source address with an ICMP "host unreachable" message.
> >
> > When I ping the address 255.255.255.255 (from a cisco
> > for instance), my max (5.0Ap5) responds with source address
> > 127.0.0.2. Surely this is a bug?
>
> THANKS. That explains it all:
>
> 1) Bad guys do a ping on our directed broadcast address

Actually I reproduced that 255.255.255.255 problem (and I agree it is a
bug!!) but I cannot reproduce it with the directed broadcast address. With
The directed broadcast address, the Max responds with its proper IP
address.

My guess is that when the Max receives a packet to 255.255.255.255, it is
unable to decide what interface that goes with and picks the first non
loopback interface, which happens to be rj0. The correct behaviour would
be to use the address of the interface out of which the reply is sent.

> 2) Our Cisco (when not equipped with "no ip directed-broadcast") rewrites
>    this into a full broadcast (255.255.255.255) to the MAC broadcast
>    (uuuh - that was unexpected, I thought it simply explodes into
>    a MAC broadcast but stays a directed one on layer 3).

I thought so too! Well, just turn on "no ip directed-broadcast" and
avoid the ambiguity, I say!

-Phil