(ASCEND) NAT routing on P50

Has anyone made Network Address Translation work on a Pipeline 50?
I had it working for about 10 minutes on 5.0Ap5, and then it stopped working.
I upgraded to 5.0Ap8, and now I can't make it work at all.  Has anyone got it
stabilely working, and if so, what does the configure screen look like, and
what release are you using.   I followed all directions at http://
www.ascend.com/service/technotes/nattn.html (I used a phony address for the
NAS, one of two choices in the URL, on the advice of Ascend).

In order to get it to work for ten minutes, I had to do an fclear and
nvramclear and start from scratch.  I could then ping from the PC to the LAN
on a Max for about 10 minutes.  After a while I could ping nothing but the
pipline from the PC.  Repeating that procedure on 5.0Ap8 (My Ascend contact
was skeptical about p5) did not work at all.  Symptoms are:

Can ping Max and items on its Enet from P50 term server.
Can ping P50 from PC.
Cannot ping PC from P50 termserver!  (Even though show ip routes shows a route
to it.)  No packets appear on the Enet.

It's as though the part of the P50 that returns pings can't talk to the part
of the P50 that generates pings!