(ASCEND) 4048 and modem weird connections

Have just installed a MAx 4048 with 2 PRI's.  Getting connection
rates of 28.8 or better on about 90% of the connections.  Now
the weird part and if I am crazy don't flame, just point out my
stupidity.  It seems that the only connection problems
such as slow response, dropping not connecting etc. are the
 customers that claim to have 28.8 modems yet I see them
 connected at 31.2 or 33.6 from the sh users list.
  I have seen this on different brands and it seems to be
 the common thread among the problems.

1)  Is it possible for a 28.8 modem to connect to the
Max with a download speed of 33.6?

2) I have one customer with a GVC modem that he swears
is not a 33.6 and is wanting to go out and buy a 33.6 because
of the poor connection,   But I see him connect every time at 33.6.

3)  I solved one users problem with a USR showing 115,200
connect speed by getting a patched .inf file.  He would show
28.8 sometimes but 115,200 most of the time.  After the
patch he now shows 31.2 or 33.6 most of the time.

When I tell the customers that they need to load the
new 33.6 driver the standard response is, "I never had
this problem with my former ISP". (Who I just bought out).

Talbert K. Coker
Florence Business Net
http://www,flosc.net