(ASCEND) MaxDial on NT with Microsoft Personal Fax software

We have recently got the MaxDial service software installed on a Windows
NT workstation, to talk to the digital modems in our MAX1800 via TCP/IP.
We would like to use it in conjunction with Microsoft's Personal Fax for
NT software.
Everything seems to integrate OK - we have installed the Personal Fax
software, configured it to point to the "Ascend Digital Modem" on our
virtual COM7 port, and it appears in the "Printers" window, and MS-Word
will try to "print" to it.
We have managed to send one complete fax successfully - others have got
through about a half-page & then the faxing software complains of a
fatal error.

Has anybody got a similar environment working OK? If so, what
configuration options are you using?