(ASCEND) 56k/telco

We got our Max4048 about three weeks ago to go along with our fiber PRI.
As I test from the various neighbourhoods that our ISP serves, I find that
some people have no trouble getting connections as high as 50k to our Max.
However, in other areas, the exact same equipment will give up on 56k and
fall back to v.34.  The odd part is that the v.34 connections are usually
fast (26.4 - 31.2), which is just what I see when I force a v.34
connection in those areas that can get 56k.  When I check signal strength
and line quality, I see similar results in both the areas that can get 56k
and the areas that can't.

So, the question is:  Why can't some of these areas get 56k?  Is this a
telco problem?  Could they be throwing an extra D/A and A/D in the loop
somewhere?  Is there any way to test for this?

(BTW, when I refer to 56k, I mean 56k as opposed to v.34 -- 32000, 34000...).

|                    Lee Nelson                      |
|                  lnelson@e-z.net                   |
|            http://www.e-z.net/~lnelson             |
|         System Administrator, E-Z.Net Inc.         |
|                  (360)260-1122                     |
|          209 NE 120th Ave. Suite B                 |
|               Vancouver, WA  98684                 |