Re: (ASCEND) 56K Modem Throughput Degradation

At 11:01 AM 6/2/97 -0700, Kevin Smith wrote:
>At 02:29 AM 5/31/97 -0400, Jason Nealis wrote:
>>

>>I saw the same. Then I spoke with rockwell, And they informed me
>>that there was an actual new 56K card that was out that
>>addressed this, I got my hands on a newer K56 card and the disconnects
>>went away. kevin can probably expand more on this.
>>
>>kevin?
>
>After having this issue brought to our attention, we have been working
>in the LAB on understanding the problems. We have NOT seen any such
>degradation, or disconnect issues since the official release of the
>K56flex modem codes. But, we will be investigating this further and
>provide updates as we discover more on the issues.

OK, it appears that there were a couple of issues involved with
pre-production cards and the modem code. Erols (hence Jason's note) were
using promotional cards, and there were indeed some
init problems found later with those cards. It should be noted however,
that *every one* of the cards that have that problem have been recalled
- so if you have one of these cards, you will already know about it.

If you do not have one of these cards, then you have a different problem
if you are seeing modem problems. One important note that we received
from Rockwell during the introduction of the official modems was that the
client modems *must* be running Rockwell's version 5.19d of the firmware.
This may be coded under a different revision by the OEMs, but should be
traceable to that version from Rockwell. Any MAX running version 5.0Ap6
or better also has the same level (5.26 I believe in the case of the
server modems).

Kevin Smith                              Updated Service and Support
Ascend Communications                    Resources are now at:
                                         http://www.ascend.com/service