Re: (ASCEND) Clock source

At 05:44 PM 6/5/97 -0500, Dale Botkin wrote:
>Kevin,
>
>We were just told by tech support that there can be only one global clock
>source for a Max 4004.

There could be as many as you have T's, BUT the MAX will sync to only one.
That's the way it has *always* worked...

>Thus, if we have (for example) two CT1, a U S
>Worst frame relay line, and MCI frame relay, all from different sources,
>we can't plug them all into a 4004.  Since this is exactly what we have,
>we were extremely displeased to hear this.  If this is indeed true, it
>means that:
>
>1.) Two net/T1 interfaces on each of my Max 4004's go to waste;
>2.) My Maxen cannot handle frame and modem T1's as we were told
>    they can;

Many do, believe me :)

>3.) I need to dig up another CSU/DSU and cable to put all my
>    frame realy on a Cisco instead of moving it to the Max like I
>    planned to be able to;
>4.) I suspect that we may have found the source of more than one
>    elusive problem.

Describe the problems, and I can give my opinions on them....

>Comments?  I heard this with a certain degree of disbelief, since it would
>seem to be a monumentally stupid way to design a box designed to handle up
>to 4 T1/PRI...  nowhere in any docs we've seen does it specify that all
>four MUST have the same clock source.  Ugh.

The MAX will sync to one of the T's...dependent on the clock-source settings.
If the other T's are not synchronized with that particular one, or drift
with respect to the source - then you will see frame slips on them.

The MAX buffering *will* handle very small discrepancy, but I don't recall
of the top-o-my-head what it is....

Kevin