Re: (ASCEND) Clock source

On Thu, 5 Jun 1997, Kevin Smith wrote:

> There could be as many as you have T's, BUT the MAX will sync to only one.
> That's the way it has *always* worked...

Hey, my car has *always* made this irritating little rattle, too...  that
doesn't mean it *should*.

> >2.) My Maxen cannot handle frame and modem T1's as we were told
> >    they can;
>
> Many do, believe me :)

Mine's marginal.

> >4.) I suspect that we may have found the source of more than one
> >    elusive problem.
>
> Describe the problems, and I can give my opinions on them....

Same one we were having: truly crappy modem connections on two CT1's due
to (we now know) clock slip.

> The MAX will sync to one of the T's...dependent on the clock-source settings.
> If the other T's are not synchronized with that particular one, or drift
> with respect to the source - then you will see frame slips on them.
>
> The MAX buffering *will* handle very small discrepancy, but I don't recall
> of the top-o-my-head what it is....

Apparently not enough in this case.  And these are T1's coming from the
same provider, same location, but different clock sources.  We can get
the frame to work fine, but then modems can't stay connected...  or we
can get clean modem connections, but now the frame shows errored
seconds.  To get them both clean, it looks to me like I have to move the
frame relay off the Max and onto a Cisco with a CSU/DSU.

		Dale