Re: (ASCEND) Clock source

At 05:44 PM 6/5/97 -0500, Dale Botkin wrote:
>Kevin,
>
>We were just told by tech support that there can be only one global clock
>source for a Max 4004.  Thus, if we have (for example) two CT1, a U S
>Worst frame relay line, and MCI frame relay, all from different sources,
>we can't plug them all into a 4004.  Since this is exactly what we have,
>we were extremely displeased to hear this.  If this is indeed true, it
>means that:
>
>1.) Two net/T1 interfaces on each of my Max 4004's go to waste;
>2.) My Maxen cannot handle frame and modem T1's as we were told
>    they can;
>3.) I need to dig up another CSU/DSU and cable to put all my
>    frame realy on a Cisco instead of moving it to the Max like I
>    planned to be able to;
>4.) I suspect that we may have found the source of more than one
>    elusive problem.

All US telcos (and most others around the world) use the same stratum 1
clock source. So if you clock off of MCI, your US West PRI should work
fine. However, as we all know, telco's can and do make mistakes in
provisioning. So if they screw up the clocking at their CO switch or frame
relay switch, you can have problems if you take service from two different
clock sources.

But in 99% of the installations, you should be fine. If you are positive
you have a clock problem, check with one or both of your providers to see
if they can fix it. If you manage to talk to the right person at the telco,
it should be easy to fix.

Matt Holdrege  -  http://www.ascend.com  -  matt@ascend.com