Re: (ASCEND) Ascend QA gone downhill?

At [Wed, 4 Jun 1997 16:02:29 -0700] Jon Rust <jpr@vcnet.com> wrote:

jpr> For almost 2 years now, I've been recommending Ascend to everyone. However,
jpr> the last few months have been a little troublesome:
When I was in the ISP game I saw similar problems...

jpr> + MAX 4004 fried a dm12 after s/w upgrade (BTW, took over a week to get a
jpr> new one)
We saw this but we didn't put it woen to a s/w upgrade - our local Ascend
supplier did a swapout in under a week....

jpr> + P75 with DOA ethernet
3 P50's with either dead Ethernet or ether that would only use AUI port...

jpr> + 2 P130's with bad flash (won't take any upgrade, stuck at 4.6c)
How about a P50 that has 5.0 installed "out the box" refuses to pass
packets from Ethernet to WAN - Downgrade to 4.6cI14(I think) then re-
upgrade to 5.0 and everything fine.

jpr> + A P400 that reboots itself occassionaly; each time losing sync with the
jpr> PRI until the line is physically removed and replaced. (this problem is
jpr> actually older than a "few months.")
Had this prob. with a Max - ended up being a software issue(I forget
which version now)

jpr> Other admins seeing such problems, or do I just have the "midas touch?"
I think it's just bad luck on the part of us - everyone else I speak to
is more than happy with Ascend kit....

--
|  Darran Rimron, Consultant, Rimron Design & Consultancy  |
| http://www.rimron.co.uk       mailto:darran@rimron.co.uk |