(ASCEND) Important Note re: Ascend 56k upgrade

This question has come up a couple of times now, so I guess I
should clarify here:

>Hi Kevin
>
>I'm going to be ordering the 56k modems for my Max 4k.
>
>Can I just replace the cards and do the software upgrade later?

No. The firmware to download into the K56flex modems is resident in the
MAX software image. For that reason, when you upgrade the hardware, you
will also need to load the image (see below). Currently this is available
under the patch branch "Ap6". There is also an "i" load for those
who are running in the "i" branch "Ai10".

The loads needed has a "k" designation in the first part of the file name,
for example:

 "tik.m40" - for the T1 (t) MAX 40XX (m40) IP-only (i)with support for
K56flex
             modems (k).

>Can they work at 33.6 under the old software?

The old DM-8 and DM-12 cards are not supported in the "k" loads.

The two different types of modems will continue to be supported with different
binaries for the foreseeable future.

Further example:

If you are currently running a MAX4004 T1 with the OSPF load (IP only) you
probably load one of the images:

ti.m40   or tbi.m40              (b - denotes optional BRI support)

With the upgrade to series56 modems you would now use:

tik.m40  or tbik.m40.

Kevin Smith                              Updated Service and Support
Ascend Communications                    Resources are now at:
                                         http://www.ascend.com/service