(ASCEND) Modem connection problems

We are currently experienceing problems with our Max 4000.

We have 3 PRI connections and 60 modems (5 x 12).

Recently we have begun to experience "noisy" modems on connection, this
noise will remain for the duration of the call, causing the modem to be
unable to begin the negotiation process.

This will "hit" us for a few minutes, accross any of the Ports/Slots, then
disappear again, allowing customers to connect as normal.

The noise consists of some small "pops" followed by a louder "crackle".

We have been informed by the telco that the ISDN lines don't "crackle"
therefore the problem must lie at our end.

The only changes to the Max of late consist of adding the 5th modem card
(never a problem before) and the addition of the 3rd PRI ISDN line (also a
relatively painless job in the past).

Have I missed something major as the Max starts to get towards it's full
capacity ??

It has been suggesed the the problem may be one related to the dbm level
(to high causing the "noise" during the digital to analog conversion) Does
this sound like it may be the case ??  If so how do I modify these settings
??

Thanks,

Thomas Hartley
Network Administrator - LogicWorld