Re: (ASCEND) 48 modem limit on Max with 56k cards (fwd)

Once upon a time Stephen Balbach shaped the electrons to say...
>Model Chasis Type	#56K modems
>4048  4004		48 modems
>4004  4004		72 modems
>The 4004 and 4048 are the same box with some slots disabled.
>Why did Ascend do this?

Note the SW included is also different.

They did it to have an apples-to-apples comparision product to compete
against the PM-3.  It was fairly easy to sell against the 4002/4 with
all the confusion over what options were needed to make a unit comparable
to the PM-3.

At the same time they wouldn't want to compete against their own 4002 units,
which sell for more.

What I understand from the several Ascend people I talked to at InterOp
is that the 4048 is a fixed configuration unit - 2 ports only and forever,
can't take BRI cards and some of the other MAX cards.  It is a plain 2
port intergrated access server with software bundled in to make it do the
same basic features the PM-3 has.  Direct competitor.

-MZ
Phone: 800-458-9966 510-737-2100 FAX: 510-737-2110 megazone@livingston.com
Snail mail: 4464 Willow Road, Pleasanton, CA 94588