Re: (ASCEND) NAT on P75 for 200 workstations (yeah, really...)

At 09:26 PM 9/30/97 -0500, Jake Messinger wrote:
>On Tue, 30 Sep 1997, Jason Nealis wrote:
>

>> 200 workstations? Ouch, I'm guessing that it's a 128K line, hmm not good
>> bandwidth there. haha. I'd suggest that he do this with one of the
>> new IMPROVED pipelines, I can see serious problems with the Pipe holding
>> that type of routing table and etc. I think it would bring the 75 to
>> it's knee's.
>
>He might want to consider using a pipe 50 connected to a NAT box like
>either linux (stripped down) or Dave Mischler's IPRoute which is GREAT
>software. You can use a 386-25 with no kbd, monitor and just a floppy
>drive, an ethernet, connect to the pipe 50. So the 50 and the IPRoute box
>get a network number and the rest get nat translated from 192.168...

As long as the 200 workstations are pretty much happy just talking among
themselves most of the time ;)

Can you imagine the response time if they are *all* trying to update their
stock-tickers, access POP-servers, read news ..... times 200.

Kevin