Re: (ASCEND) NAT on P75 for 200 workstations (yeah, really...)

On Wed, Oct 01, 1997 at 11:17:34AM -0400, Phillip Vandry wrote:
> > He might want to consider using a pipe 50 connected to a NAT box like
> > either linux (stripped down) or Dave Mischler's IPRoute which is GREAT
> > software. You can use a 386-25 with no kbd, monitor and just a floppy
>                                                                  ^^^^^^
>
> Am I to understand that you are suggesting running this stripped down
> and hacked up NATing Linux off a floppy? :-)
>
> Probably possible, but not really desirable!

It's not only possible, it's even sufficient - as long as you have enough
RAM (8 MB absolute minimum) and don't want persistent logging on the
machine. On a floppy you can hold a 400K Linux kernel and around 2.5
Mbyte of a compressed ramdisk for the OS to run. This is even sufficient
to plug in HiSax, isdn4linux and the required binaries to make the
Linux box a P50 clone (somewhat). Good arguing (sp?) whether this is
desirable ;)

You should have some backups of this floppy, though ;->

--

Kanther-Line: PGP SSH IDEA MD5 GOST RIPE-MD160 3DES RSA FEAL32 RC4

| o |               \\\- Brain Inside -///                   | o |
| o | Andre' Beck (ABPSoft) beck@ibh-dd.de XLink PoP Dresden | o |