(ASCEND) Q: arp problem with p50

hi,

i have a little problem with a p50 (S/N 5485356) with firmware 5.0A (Feb
97). took it out of the box, configured the ether interface to
150.10.61.31/24, entered the termserv and tried a ping to the router.
guess what: nothing!

hours later, meanwhile with a sniffer connected to the lan, i tried
again:

ping 150.10.61.1  (the router)

on the sniffer, i can see that the pipeline sends arp requests like
crazy, and the router replies. but ping doesn't work. and "show arp"
shows me an empty cache. "aah, filters", i think. and check the setting
in mod-config->ether options. it is 0, which according to the manual
means "disabled".

doubting, i try the ping of last resort:

ping 255.255.255.255

and see, ONE machine on the 150.10.61.x lan responds. it is 150.10.61.3.
no idea why this one and not the others. on the sniffer, i can see all
the workstations on my 150.10.61.x lan sending arp requests for my
pipeline. the pipeline doesn't respond. "show arp" gives me just one
entry: the one for 150.10.61.3.

after the entry got washed out of the arp cache, i tried the broadcast
ping again. this time, the one responding was 150.10.61.21, again with
only this entry in "show arp".

150.10.61.21 is one of our management stations and has a tftp server. so
i kept pinging to keep the arp cache alive and grabbed a new firmware
from the ascend server: b.p50 (5.1A). installed it, booted it, even
cleared the profile and started from scratch - but the problem persists.

i got two cards left to play now...:

1) the hope that someone on the list knows what i'm doing wrong and
tells me
2) that plugging in the ISDN connection will somehow "fix" my pipeline.
i don't have the phone connection yet to try it.

thanks for any hint

daniel