Re: (ASCEND) Q: arp problem with p50

On Fri, 3 Oct 1997, Daniel Wesemann wrote:
> i have a little problem with a p50 (S/N 5485356) with firmware 5.0A (Feb
> 97). took it out of the box, configured the ether interface to
> 150.10.61.31/24, entered the termserv and tried a ping to the router.
> guess what: nothing!

What is the exact model of your P50?  If it ends in HX, you have the
"single-user" (i.e., crippled) version.

The way that works is that the P50-HX takes note of the very first MAC
address it sees on the ethernet wire.  Once set, it will only forward
packets from that MAC address to the upper protocol layers.  This
effectively makes it useless on a LAN with many hosts -- you have to
connect it directly to your computer using a null 10Base-T cable.

Of course, this is only the way Ascend intended it to be used, but it's
possible to get around its limitations.  A Linux system with two ethernet
cards can do wonders...