Re: (ASCEND) Pipeline 50 Q.

> Connections->[name]->IP options->DownPreference=120
> Connections->[name]->IP options->DownMetric=7
> I've looked through the docs... but, it seems some of this isn't documented.
> What does DownPreference and DownMetric control in the Pipeline 50?

Well, I looked through my documents and the release notes and could not
find it either.  It sounds like someone needs to notify the technical
writers they missed something.  [Yo! Kevin!]

I can provide an educated guess that these are the Preference and Metric to
use for the route when the connection is down (not connected).  It would
appear that the default [up] Preference is 60 and the default DownPreference
is 120.  The default [up] Metric is 1 and the default DownMetric is 7.

> What does the 120 value mean? ...what does the 7 signify?

Check the meaning of the Preference and Metric parameters in the Reference
Manual for your Pipeline.

The Preference is the "reliability" of the information associated with the
route.  Routes learned from more reliable sources (or more desirable routes)
have a lower preference (and are therefore more preferable).  Basically,
if there is more than one source of information about a route (interface
config, static route, RIP) the router will update the routing table with
the information provided by the source whose preference is closer to zero.

The Metric is the cost of using the link [in hops] - the higher the Metric,
the higher the cost.  If there are two routes to the same destination, the
packets will travel route with the lowest cost [Metric].