(ASCEND) strange occasional network lag with MAX 4000

We've been noticing a strange problem with our MAX 4000. Every few minutes
(usually about every two minutes) the response time of the MAX increases
for a short period (up to about 15 seconds). For example, when pinging the
MAX from a host on the same network, the response time is usually about
1-2 ms, but about once every two minutes that response time can jump to
several hundred milliseconds in the worst case. This problem also affects
packets going through the MAX - to a customer's P50, for example.

We ran tcpdump, but we didn't notice any unusual traffic when the MAX's
response time increased. We also couldn't correlate any activity on the MAX
(e.g. incoming/outgoing calls, etc.) with the increased response time.

This problem doesn't occur when pinging other hosts on the network, and
we wouldn't have noticed it with the MAX if it hadn't been for a customer
who noticed this problem when playing Quake across his ISDN connection.
Apparently exactly once every two minutes he's seeing a significant
lag and even some packet loss. And apparently this problem had never
occurred before until it began sometime during the last few weeks.

The MAX is running 5.0Ap27 (tik.m40) now, but the problem was also
happening with 5.0Ap13.

I know this is probably very little info to go on, but does anyone
have any ideas on what might be causing this or has anyone else
experienced something like this?

Thanks very much for any help,
Pius