Re: (ASCEND) Feature Requests and Ascend?

On Wed, 8 Oct 1997, Kevin Smith wrote:

> At 03:09 PM 10/8/97 EDT, Tim Basher wrote:
> >> The response I got was that they couldn't imagine why someone would
> >> make that many connections (apparently the Internet is one big happy
> >> family) and that I should submit it as a feature request. Sheesh. I was
> >> given the impression that the technical support guy had no way to
> >> communicate with anyone who could do anything to the code nor did he have
> >> any internal system to submit such problems himself.
> >
> >It is my understanding that Ascend has internal feature request pages,
> >just as there are external feature request pages.  However, I have also
> >heard that Ascend is very much driven by the business case that is
> >presented with the feature request.  If you have a big customer or a
> >even a small customer who presents a feature request with a strong business
> >case, there is a much better chance of the feature request being accepted
> >than if a "technical support guy" (or gal) submits a feature request.
>
> YES. You hit that nail right on the head.

The problem is that it is not acceptable when that is used as a brush-off
about a bug report in an existing feature; no matter what sort of network
you are running, it is becoming less and less acceptable to allow for
trivial denial of service attacks.  The impression I have got is Ascend
doesn't care.

I will ignore the fact that the feature request form has always been a
blackhole in the past whenever I have submitted anything, including this
issue.  It is not at all suited to problems of this nature that require a
detailed explaination and which are technical problems with existing
features.

It isn't worth my hassle to try to dance around with who knows how many
people to fix a technical deficiency in a feature like this; it isn't
critical to us, but it is a stupid thing that would seem trivial to fix if
anyone cared.  The box doesn't seem to be running out of TCBs or anything,
looks more like some broken inefficient algorithm somewhere.  I simply
give it up and chalk it up to the way life is with Ascend.