Re: (ASCEND) Feature Requests and Ascend?

> > > The response I got was that they couldn't imagine why someone would
> > > make that many connections (apparently the Internet is one big happy
> > > family) and that I should submit it as a feature request.
>
> The problem is that it is not acceptable when that is used as a brush-off
> about a bug report in an existing feature;

I would agree, it is not okay as a brush-off.  I hope that was not the reason
for the response [I would get pretty steamed too if I thought I was getting a
brush-off].

I think the problem comes in with when is something a bug and when is it a
feature request.  From the conversations I have had with different vendors -
if the software works as documented, then typically the behavior is not
considered a bug and a change in behavior is considered a new feature.

For instance, some tftpd servers allow access to the full file system, unless
you use an option to tell tftpd to do a chroot() first.  This is definitely
not good for security, but is it a "bug"?

> I will ignore the fact that the feature request form has always been a
> blackhole in the past whenever I have submitted anything, including this
> issue.

Well that sounds like a real issue that someone at Ascend should address.
[Yo! Kevin!]  I would recommend that the WWW server send back an ack of
the feature request [if a valid e-mail address is provided] AND that
a message be sent to the submitter once the request has been reviewed,
giving the disposition of the request (accepted, deferred, resubmit,
rejected).  Feedback is important and things like this should not be a black
hole.