Re: (ASCEND) Feature Requests and Ascend?

On Wed, 8 Oct 1997, Tim Basher wrote:

> > Please understand the feature I am talking about before talking about
> > something that has no relevance to the issue.
>
> I am trying to understand.  Really.  But I just don't get it.
> What specifically is the issue?

You need a password.  That means that it is perfectly reasonable to have
it available on a public network.  Well, reusable plain-text passwords
aren't really sufficent but that is another matter.

> > The problem I have is that the box has the bug of crashing if someone
> > opens a couple (what some would consider a reasonable number; after all,
> > there could be that many actual modems in a box for people to connect to)
> > of connections to it.
>
> I have had more than two ("a couple") Immediate Modem sessions going
> without any problems.  You have mentioned "access to the modems", so
> I assumed you meant preventing access.  The fact that you had mentioned
> "just by making ~60 or 80 telnet connections" also led me to believe
> you are talking about a rather large number, which implied an access
> problem.  You now say you are not talking about preventing access
> ("I can already control the access very nicely") so now you have lost me
> again.

I can control who can access them.  To access them you need a password.
Telnetting to the immediate modem port does not immediately give you a
modem in my setup.  It gives you a password prompt.  If you know the
password, you get access.  If you don't, you don't.  Assume that security
is sufficient.

The problem is that someone can, without knowing the password or having
any access to the modems, connect to the port a "couple" (large couple,
but certainly nothing that takes more than a couple of seconds to do and
which can be done over a low-bandwidth line; does need real IPs though) of
times and bring down the box.  Repeat, this is _without_ having access to
the modems just the ability to telnet to the immediate modem port.