(ASCEND) hash codes hash codes and more hash codes

*****************Warning*****Warning*******************
*                                                     *
*   Long-winded non-technical comments to follow...   *
*                                                     *
*****************Warning*****Warning*******************

Hello,

I would like to comment about some complaints I have seen in this mailing
list about Ascend's error in not warning people to get hash codes when
upgrading their machines (particularly to K56Flex and the code that
supports it).

First, a slight dig at Ascend...  When they ship K56Flex cards, there's a
small piece of paper that warns users to make sure they have a certain
version of the firmware before installing.  It is my opinion that Kevin
Smith, who keeps a very close eye on this list, should find whoever
created that doc and whoever puts it in the box and have them add one more
small paragraph... BEFORE INSTALLING, CALL FOR HASH CODES if blah blah
blah...

Now, a slight dig at some of the people who bitch and moan in this list
about this problem.... I had this problem when we upgraded our maxen to
K56Flex.  After learning all about hash codes and how I lost wan3 and wan4
and the ability to accept ISDN calls after I upgraded, I posted, to this
very list, a long email detailing what happened and WARNED people in very
strong words.  I too felt I should have been warned.  For people who are
not on this list or don't know about this list, I understand how they are
shocked.  However, some people in this list are complaining that Ascend
never warned them.  Ascend may not have warned them (and should have, I
agree), but this list, which is clearly supported by Ascend (because they
have Kevin reading and responding here), warned them.  *I* warned them.  I
have seen others tell their stories of hash codes here too... Aside from
posting about how they're really pissed at Ascend, do they read the
emails?

I have been fairly impressed with Ascend's tech support too -- I have seen
some complaints about that too.  They have always gotten back to me fairly
quickly and are usually prety quick to get to the bottom of a problem.  I
do, however, agree with one poster regarding the overly bubbly automated
attendant... "Thank you for calling Ascend Communicaaaaations..." -- I
must confess, when my maxen were sick and I was trying to reach someone in
a hurry, I found myself talking to a recording.... "What are *you* so
freakin' happy about?"....

All in all, I think most of this trouble happened when USR blasted the
market with X2 and Rockwell resonded with K56Flex that wasn't *quite*
ready for the market yet... Ever since I upgraded to these version that
support the new cards, things have been a bit touchy... Ascend/Rockwell
tried to counter by releasing K56Flex quickly so as not to lose market
share to 'if your ISP doesn't have X2, they suck'. Marketing took a gamble
and engineering and tech support are left cleaning up the mess...

Sorry for the rant -- I knew this was going to be a great day when a
customer called requesting help to "fax my Yahoo".  ?!

Thank you, I'm done now... you can press the delete key... :-)

Steve