RE: (ASCEND) Don't look so hot...

On Thursday, October 16, 1997 11:10 AM, Andre van de Merwe
[SMTP:andre@is.co.za] wrote:
> Are there any comments on the following ?
>
> http://www.lanquest.com/reports/remote_access_servers/cisco30.htm

Yes. It looks rigged. The same way that Tolly Group reports are rigged
in favour of those who "sponsor" the tests.
Ascend boxes tested by Tolly, when sponsored by Ascend win.

Look at the page above it and note the four tests they have published.
Cisco (even with that absolute pile of shit called the 5200) come
"first" three out of the four tests, and conversely the 3com comes first
against Cisco in one of the tests - even though the other test almost
contrdicts this. sigh.

"You get what you pay for".

I suspect that the TNT does OK. We run them with 210 channels (analog)
into each, and get very good performance thatnks very much. We are still
waiting for Ascend to sort ou a number of issues that are quite serious,
but overall performance is fine. So far. Better that the old 12 port
modem MAX4000s at least.

Peter