Re: (ASCEND) Re: sigh (bitching)

On Mon, 20 Oct 1997, Karl Denninger wrote:

|I've had occasion to yell at both of these organization's support departments
|over the last few years.
|
|The front-line people in both cases have known less than I have about the
|problem (and the product) much of the time.  That's not a good thing,
|especially when you're forced to go through them first to get to someone
|who knows what they're doing.
|
|However, I've *never* been unable to get a problem resolved, including a
|couple of problems that have required *custom firmware builds*, with CISCO
|over the years.
|
|This was not true with ASCEND.

You should try getting Livingston to admit they have a bug. MUCH MUCH
MUCH worse than Ascend. We finally had the drop the PM3s and ship them
back to Livingston because of modems going into admin mode and
requiring manual intervention.  Livingston still denies that this bug
existed (per Megazone's post to inet-access last week) in pre-3.7.1 or
pre k56flex cards.

The ball was dropped several times at livingston, they finally
escalated to engineering, but the ball then got dropped again. (BTW,
the timeframe for this all started in March of this year)

I was very dissapointed in the lack of care from Livingston for the
problem we were having with the PM3s.  We _REALLY_ wanted to be able
to deploy PM3s on our network for Modem dial. The performance was
EXCELLENT and their modems were almost as good as USRs, but when our
NOC was constantly having to reset modems and babysit these PM3s we
finally had to give them up.  We are still using PM3s for ISDN and
they work like a charm. Maybe by the time the PM4 is released
Lucent/Livingston will have fixed all the bugs and we can evaluate
them again.

Jonah

Jonah Barron Yokubaitis    | Austin|San Antonio|Houston
President                  | Dallas|Fort Worth|Boerne
Texas.Net	 	   | Georgetown|Dripping Springs
http://www.texas.net       | Making 56k affordable