Re: (ASCEND) Re: sigh (bitching)

On Mon, 20 Oct 1997, Karl Denninger wrote:

> > > Hmm, I don't know about you, but I can talk to a real support person at
> > > Cisco faster than I can talk to a real (questionable) support person at
> > > Ascend, and that's without a contract.
> >
> > I agree with the latter writer, but the "real" support person I get
> > at Cisco is almost invariably a complete idiot who wastes my time and
> > garbles the problem description.  With Ascend I just get nothing at
> > all.  It's easy to see why so many customers are switching IN EACH
> > DIRECTION.
>
> I've had occasion to yell at both of these organization's support departments
> over the last few years.
>
> The front-line people in both cases have known less than I have about the
> problem (and the product) much of the time.  That's not a good thing,
> especially when you're forced to go through them first to get to someone
> who knows what they're doing.
>
> However, I've *never* been unable to get a problem resolved, including a
> couple of problems that have required *custom firmware builds*, with CISCO
> over the years.
>
> This was not true with ASCEND.

	We have a Cisco support contract, and we get EXCELLENT service,
including custom firmware builds, when necessary. With Ascend, we don't
bother buying a contract because we have already dealt with many of their
top people in the past, and don't see how buying a contract would make
them any more competant at fixing bugs. :)

Josh Beck - CONNECTnet Network Operations Center - jbeck@connectnet.com