Re: (ASCEND) Re: sigh (bitching)

> I absolutely agree.  We've found fundamental problems with the IOS
> software (especially on new platforms) that Cisco has responded
> immediately to... Ascend pretends the problems don't exist.

I don't have much experience with Ascend tech support yet.  (And what
I have isn't so great.)  But my experience with Cisco goes back to
*before* they sold their first router.  The used to be grade-A
whizzes throughout.  Now they seem to consist of an inner core of
sharp developers surrounded by a protective armor plating of
technically illiterate phone-answerers, ignorant "customer
engineers," incompetent "escalation engineers," and bumbling
managers.

It took them five months last year to fix a violation of RFC 1661
which could be described in two sentences and reproduced at will.  It
took a similar five months this year to fix a clear violation of 1812
and even then they offered me a version so raw (11.3) it isn't even
shown on their web service site.  In both cases months were spent
convincing the flak-catchers that there really was a problem.  In the
former case, once they were convinced, nobody actually gave the case
to the developer.  When I got through to him directly at his
snowbound farmhouse in Maine, he fixed the problem in a day.

So don't tell *me* "my vendor good, your vendor bad."  I've been
around the block and I know better.  As they grow, they all sharply
raise their staff-to-clue ratios.