Re: (ASCEND) Have to hit a key for prompt in terminal window?

>      All of our modem and terminal adapter users (Windows 95 and NT)
>      authenticate to our MAX 4004 (5.0Ap1) through a terminal window.  Is
>      there anyone to configure the clients, RADIUS, or MAX so that users do
>      not have to hit a key for the login prompt to appear?  Not a big
>      problem, but still annoying.

It's a tradeoff. What you are experiencing is the PPP delay - the amount of
time the terminal server will wait for the remote end to start a PPP
connection before it will give up and go text based.

If you set it to zero, all logins will be terminal logins - there will be
no direct PPP logins.

If you set it very low (<5 or <10), your users have a chance of missing the
window of opportunity to start a PPP connection. Keep in mind that the
typical PPP implementation will wait 3 seconds between each attempt to
open the connection (LCP Configure-Request), but your terminal login users
will not have to wait very long for the prompt.

If you set it very high, it is almost guaranteed that your PPP users will
connect, but the terminal users will have to wait a very long time before
getting the prompt (or they can hit a key to cancel the PPP mode).

Anyway, it's PPP delay in The Termserv options.

By the way, you mention that your terminal adapter users use terminal
logins. I assume yo mean ISDN terminal adapters, in which case this is
a Bad Thing. That means they probably use V.120 (the only way to do
anything terminal-like over ISDN) instead of PPP and it costs
performance.

-Phil