Re: (ASCEND) NavisAccess: "Uncompiled Trap"

I sent the following to Tim (but forgot to reply to all, so here is the
answer:

Close NavisAccess
Copy from \navisaccess\mibs\rfc\*.mib to \navisaccess\mibs
Copy from \navisaccess\mibs\ascend\*.mib to \navisaccess\mibs

Then Compile the mibs using the MIB Compiler.
>From NT
    START:Programs > NavisAccess > MIB Compiler -> [Compile]
    When it says "Done Building Trap Database" and the [Close] button
becomes active, choose Close.
    Restart NavisAccess (the snmpmibs.bin you just compiled is loaded when
NA starts - that is why you need to
    close NavisAccess).
This should fix your problem.

At 10:34 PM 10/27/97 +0000, James Fischer wrote:
>        Tim Connolly wrote:
>
>>I installed NavisAccess last week to try to play with SNMP.
>>I get the following message repeatedly under Event Summary:
>><TRAP = 1.3.6.1.4.1.529.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0, 6, 12, 1><V0 = 2>
>
>        Ascend's Private mib root is enterprises.529,
>
>                1.3.6.1.4.1.529
>
>        So you clearly have a trap from an Ascend product,
>        but the zeroes that follow it indicate that something
>        is amiss.  The lack an a valid object-id should also
>        be a concern.
>
>        My question would be "Does Navis Access itself send
>        traps to a higher-level SNMP manager?", since the zeroes
>        are utter nonsense, and do not match anything "legal".
>        In other words, Navis may be generating garbage.

NavisAccess does not generate traps. Traps are sent from the device(s) to
the Management Station (similar to HPOV), and NavisAccess interprets them
from the above dot-notation to character (informational) strings.