Re: (ASCEND) Linux Anyone? with Netwarp?

On Tue, Oct 28, 1997 at 07:13:51PM -0500, Matt Ford wrote:
> Linux and Netwarp.  Just found out that Ascend doesn't support Netwarp in
> the Linux environment.  They suggested I send it back and buy a Pipe 15.  I
> am less than enthusiastic about that idea.
>
> Does anyone out there have a Netwarp working in Linux?
>
> I know Netwarps use a Siemen's chip of some sort, and that the HiSax driver
> in isdn4linux is designed for a specific Siemen's chip, but I'm not sure if
> the Netwarp uses that one (and Ascend wasn't real helpful).

Just have a look on the card. Search for chips named "HSCX" and "ISAC".
If you find something like that, chances are that the card can be
supported by HiSax.

If you really want to get it supported, send the card to Karsten Keil
(the author of HiSax) and let him do it. IF its easy he might do it in
a short time, or maybe he detects the card is just a clone of some other
already supported card...

After all, you still have one big problem: HiSax implements German 1TR6
and ETSI NET3 (Euro DSS1). Nothing else.

> If it is supported, I'm still not sure how to set it up to dial into my ISP.
> Do I just use dip?
> I've heard that certain cards can be set up to behave as if they were
> modems, but I'm unclear on what I need to do to set that up.

I4L uses ISDN Cards in various ways. One way is the network connection.
This is implemented as a dial on demand network interface that is always
up and dials on IP traffic - just like Ascend gear does. You can use
IP/HDLC (EU-RAW in Ascendspeak) or Sync PPP (with a special ipppd for
just that purpose). Works charming - here in Germany.

> I've done some networking with Linux.  Ethernet in the dorms.  Nothing with
> dial up adapters of any sort.

It's mostly a matter of

isdnctrl addif ippp0
isdnctrl ...
...				# set up ISDN interface parameters
ifconfig ippp0 my-ip pointopoint max-ip up
ipppd /dev/ippp0 useifip
route add default gw max-ip

> Any help would be most appreciated.  Even a simple "Yes I know it works" or
> "No, I'm sure it won't work"

Probably not. As always, you can't be 100% sure, but its unlikely that
someone has patched HiSax to a card that isn't even sold here in the
land of ISDN freaks :-/

See news:de.alt.comm.isdn4linux for more information (in german however).

Maybe when HiSax gets a normal kernel component with 2.0.31 it will
adopt more D channel protocols.

--

Kanther-Line: PGP SSH IDEA MD5 GOST RIPE-MD160 3DES RSA FEAL32 RC4

| o |               \\\- Brain Inside -///                   | o |
| o | Andre' Beck (ABPSoft) beck@ibh-dd.de XLink PoP Dresden | o |