Re: (ASCEND) Q: lan security error

On Tue, Oct 28, 1997 at 03:11:50PM +0100, Daniel Wesemann wrote:
> I'm using a max4000 (5.0Ap13) to call a P50 (5.1A), which is set to call
> back. The max4000 has the "expect callback" set to YES.
>
> >From time to time, the P50 calls back while the initiating connection is
> still up on the max4000, resulting in a "LAN security error". I am aware
> that this problem is known for quite some time and also was on this list
> some months ago. I'm all the more amazed that it seems still to be an
> issue. Or are there any firmwares or settings around that would allow me
> to circumvent the problem ?
>
> ps: i know the "two profile" approach to avoid the security error. but
> i'd rather _solve_ it than sidestep it, if possible.

In RADIUS it isn't exactly a two profile approach any longer, as you
need two profiles there anyway ;) However, I go conform with you in that
it is a HACK. As such it may stop working at any time and may even be
the source of weird problems (I could imagine that HACK to cause a memory
leak and all the effects you get from thereon).

The only way to _solve_ this problem is a change (by Ascend) in the
implementation of their call handling. They need to accept a call on
a profile with "Exp Callback" even when the profile is currently calling
out as long as the outgoing call has no B channel connected yet, and
instantly clear the outgoing call on this opportunity. IMHO
this is easy, but mileage may vary (I don't know the code).

BTW, there are other problems with ISDN callback on the side of the
callee (the side which intends to call back). These problems are caused
by the telco delay as well, but can by no means be solved by someone
else than the telco fixing this delay. The problem is with BRIs where
one B is already in use. The incoming call is preassigned the other
B (reserved) and as long as this call is not completely cleared, the
BRI has no B available to call back at all. Happens when guys like to
operate an ISDN phone on the same S0...

--

Kanther-Line: PGP SSH IDEA MD5 GOST RIPE-MD160 3DES RSA FEAL32 RC4

| o |               \\\- Brain Inside -///                   | o |
| o | Andre' Beck (ABPSoft) beck@ibh-dd.de XLink PoP Dresden | o |