Re: (ASCEND) TNT 1.3Ap13

The burp is actually the result of a supposedly successful v.8 or v.8bis
handshake. It's the warble preceding the burp that is probably causing the
problem. It is most likely inducing some sort of response from the old
modems that is causing the new ones to think that it's handshaking with a
v.8 or v.8bis capable caller when in fact it should drop down to a v.32bis
annex A negotiation.

V.8, followed by v.8bis, have been around since v.34. If the v.8 is enabled
by default in your 33.6 cards, and it doesn't cause problems with older
modems, then it seems probable that the fault is with the v.8
implementation in the new cards.

The comma-induced pause is probably a valid work around for users
experiencing the problem as it will prevent those modems from responding to
the warble thereby causing your K56s to use the v.32 negotiation for its
handshake.

V.8 can be disabled through AT commands. A couple of years back, this would
have been a viable alternative. Not so, now. It's the v.8 that determines
exactly the capabilities/properties (not just speed) of the remote caller
and sets up the session enabling proper support of callers using such
equipment as cellular modems, etc.