Re: (ASCEND) Quake/QW and Pipeline 75 and NAT

>Is there ANYTHING Ascend can do to get this fixed?  Ascend, are you out
>there?

Why would this be Ascend's problem?  Some brain-damaged programmer writes
something that can't be played through anything doing NAT, and it's an
Ascend problem?

All the P75 is doing is passing data unmolested, which is precisely what a
router should do.  Surely we don't expect Ascend to write special code to
deal with every game that comes down the pike.  The P75 would have to break
apart every packet and *guess* whether or not it's a Quake packet, rewrite
the address, reassemble the packet, and send it.  No thanks.  The router can
massage the packet header - that's the router's job in this case - but leave
the data the hell alone.  Let the geniuses who wrote Quake fix the massive
bug in their program that prevents it from working in any NAT environment.

I hear the same complaints from customers of the local RBOC's cable modem
service, which uses NAT and Cisco 7000 series routers.  It's not an Ascend
problem, it's a bug in the application.

 Dale