(ASCEND) Crawling Connects

I've been having a problem for the last week or so that only seems to
affect certain users on my two Max 4048's with fiber-optic PRI from ELI.
When all is working well for them, I see ping times from my server to them
of around 150ms-4000ms depending on what they are doing.  At these times,
if they are using a browser that tells them what their download speed is,
they are seeing 2 KB/s or more.  However, sometimes they notice a rapid
drop off from 2 KB/s to less than 10 B/s (yes bytes, not kilobytes).  At
the same time, I can watch their ping times climb to above 50000ms (fifty
thousand).

I've been trying to find a pattern to this problem, but I've never been
able to replicate it myself.  Instead, I have to rely on feed-back from
users or talk to one of my techies who is with the user while they are on
line.  I've only been able to identify two possible patterns:  1)  When
watching the dial-up monitor in NT4.0, I see CRC's start to increase
(1 or two per minute) when they hit a graphic-intensive web site.  2)
When their connect speeds are less than 24000, the problem seems more
prevelant.

Now, I understand that 24000 is less than 28800, but that does not explain
why downloads are dropping by a factor of 200.

The real clincher is that when the same users call my old Livingston
PortMaster 2e's with Microcom rack modems with POTS from US Worst, they
don't have any of these problems, even with connect speeds of less than
24000.

I'm loosing customers rapidly over this problem.  Any insight would be
greatly appreciated.  We're the only Ascend show in town, and Ascend is
starting to get a bad name...

|                    Lee Nelson                      |
|                  lnelson@e-z.net                   |
|            http://www.e-z.net/~lnelson             |
|         System Administrator, E-Z.Net Inc.         |
|                  (360)260-1122                     |
|          209 NE 120th Ave. Suite B                 |
|               Vancouver, WA  98684                 |