Re: (ASCEND) Aptiva 28.8 NO GO

On Thu, 18 Sep 1997, Darkshot wrote:

> > They use the same DSP for the modem and sound card.  Unfortunately, the
> > software development seems to lag the real world by a year or two (or
> > three).  And don't forget Compaq now...  Lucent-based "56K upgradeable"
> > modems in their new ones that ***WILL NOT*** connect to a Max, and no one
> > at Compaq has the SLIGHTEST clue whether their head or their ass is on the
> > phone.  To quote a good friend of mine...

I've heard reports that those Lucent chip based Compaq modems won't even
connect to a PM3 with Lucent modems!

> > Can you tell I've had just ONE too many "why does my Sportster keep
> > getting disconnected, you guys suck" email tonight?

Me too.  "My modem [which doesn't even have a brand name - purely generic
with a rockwell chip on it] has problems.  It's the ISPs fault."

> No kidding. I was really shocked at the IBM tech support weasels using
> USRs lie-lie-lie line to verify correct operation.

That's becuase USR modems are very good at working with crappy modems.