Re: (ASCEND) Unmetered ISDN VOICE calls

At 06:57 PM 7/10/97 -0700, Lee Jones wrote:
>>>I have a GTE Residential ISDN line in California.  My understanding is that
>>>voice calls are unmeterred and do not carry a per minute charge for local
>>>calls.
>
>That's the way it's supposed to work.  And sometimes it does.
>
>>>So on the Pipeline 50 I set the Data Svc=Voice.  I can verify on the Max
>>>4000 CDR screen that the call is indeed coming in as a VOICE call.
>>>
>>>Yet the call is still showing up with a per minute charge on the GTE bill.
>>>
>>>Can anyone shed some light on this, and if there is anything that can be
>>>done about it?
>
>> Likely your line is setup as a business line rather than residential. Call
>> GTE and report that you are being billed for local voice calls. It is local
>> (~15 miles) isn't it?
>
>This is all GTE land with local calls.
>
>We have a number of employees with residential ISDN service dialing
>into the office.  All the people have residential service with CSV
>(circuit switched voice) only -- NO data service.  The lines here at
>the office are all set for CSV.  We should not be able to accept an
>ISDN call of type data.
>
>All the Ascend units are set for Data Svc = Voice.
>
>Those people who are served by an AT&T 5ESS switch work as expected.
>It's flat rate with no per-minute usage charges.
>
>One person who is served the a Northern Telecomm DMS100 has been
>getting usage billing.  I've been discussing the issue with GTE for
>the last 8 months.  They haven't been able to fix it.  Apparently,
>the DMS100 sees the calls and decides (by call duration) that they
>"must" be data calls and bills for per-minute usage.  Since the
>call type is voice, I think this is a bug (not a feature).
>
>The matter is still pending.  I'm open to any suggestions too.

Lee, did you ever get a resolution to this matter?

My customer has tried calling GTE.  When they finally spoke with someone,
GTE's response was that they have "smart" equipment that can sense if a
voice initiated call is a actually a data call placed as a voice call.  I'm
not sure what a good response to this is.

Does anyone know what the actual tariff states or does anyone know how to
get a hold of a copy of the actual tariff and see what it says?  If the
tariff says that voice initiated calls are not metered, then we have
something to go on.  Otherwise I guess there's not much more to say.

Best regards,

Terry

Terry Lee, Account Manager   mailto:terryl@ienet.com
INTERNET EXPRESS NETWORK  and  INTERNET DESIGN GROUP
http://www.ienet.com  213.488.6100  FAX 213.488.6101