Re: (ASCEND) Inter operability & BACP,DBA,BOD et. al.

At 14:20 09/16/1997 -0500, Karl Denninger wrote:
>BACP and MP+ are overhead and serve NO rational purpose.  Period.
>
>BOTH ends of any sync device are perfectly capable of determining line
>utilization on *any* sync circuit *without* any special protocols.

>Answer: You *do not* need such things.

>C'mon ASCEND -- get this one right and quit hiding behind bullshit excuses.

Karl,
everything you've said is true when you are only
interested in "what is my utilisation"
and "should I place a new call to increase bandwidth"
and this is likely how most ISDN TAs function...

but, there IS one thing that DOES require some extra protocol to
increase the number of channels...

if router A calls router B,
router B wants more bandwidth but is not permitted to call A,
so router B tells router A to increase,
router A places an additional call to router B

and ignores the possibilities that utilisation limits
may be set differently on each end, causing a loop something like
router A places second call to router B,
router B looks at utilisation and drops second channel after a few seconds,
router A places second call to router B,
[etc., etc.,]

-Jim H
----
Jim Howard             Sr Network Engineer        Lyceum Internet
jhoward@lyceum.com     http://www.lyceum.com/     404.248.1733

My PGP Public Key: http://www.lyceum.com/~jhoward/pgp-key.txt
Fingerprint: 7E8B E2BA 1314 2535 CB08  CFF9 119B 7CD3 2488 954D