Re: (ASCEND) NAT and static together?

At 12:22 09/25/1997 -0700, Gary Morris wrote:
>I'm trying to add a second machine to my Pipeline 75.  Currently the
>p75 and the original machine have static ip addresses.  Can I use NAT
>for the second machine while leaving the first machine with a static
>address?

I'll tell you about the NAT way first:
there is not a way to translate some addresses and not others
out the same wan connection...
but, you can get _almost_ what you're looking for with
standard NAT for LAN (available on both old and new P50s)

example:
p50 address now 172.16.1.1
wkstat1 ip addr now 172.16.1.2

new nat/wan p50 addr 172.16.1.1
new lan p50 addr 10.20.30.1
new wkstat1 ip addr 10.20.30.2
new wkstat2 ip addr 10.20.30.3

setup NAT for LAN, and then set the default server
for inbound connections to 10.20.30.2.

the net result being that inbound and outbound packets from
wkstat1 will appear as 172.16.1.1 to the outside world
(almost the same as functioned before but with p50's address)

---

this is the wrong way, so don't by any means think I am suggesting to do this,
but one that _HAS_ worked for one user I know of, just FYI.
(although is anyone _does_ try this, let me know if it works...)

assuming you have a 2-bit subnet (1 net +2 host +1 broadcast =4 addresses)
        p50 has ethernet ip address=network address (ex. 10.1.1.0)
        wkstat1 has ether ip = host 1 address       (ex. 10.1.1.1)
        wkstat2 has ether ip = host 2 address       (ex. 10.1.1.2)
        broadcast = broadcast                       (ex. 10.1.1.3)

on pipeline set
        Ethernet->mod-config->ether-options->proxy-mode=always

then there are two possible ways that may work,
depending on your operating system:
        wkstat1 and wkstat2 set default route = network address

if you have win95/winnt, this may work also:
by setting the default route to the ip of your own ethernet IP,
the system will ARP for ALL addresses:
        wkstat1 set default route = host 1 address
        wkstat2 set default route = host 2 address

-Jim H
----
Jim Howard             Sr Network Engineer        Lyceum Internet
jhoward@lyceum.com     http://www.lyceum.com/     404.248.1733

My PGP Public Key: http://www.lyceum.com/~jhoward/pgp-key.txt
Fingerprint: 7E8B E2BA 1314 2535 CB08  CFF9 119B 7CD3 2488 954D